Lion

 

2008

Contribution: All aspects

Project Duration: 2 weeks

Software: Maya, zBrush, Photoshop, Maya Fur

Images:

Description:

During my last year at SCAD-Atlanta I took a class where I solely made work to add to my portfolio. After looking though my works I saw that I did not have any animals, so I decided to do a lion. A lion also gave me the opportunity to work with Maya’s fur system, which was something I looked forward to a lot…
(Click to see all)

During my last year at SCAD-Atlanta I took a class where I solely made work to add to my portfolio. After looking though my works I saw that I did not have any animals, so I decided to do a lion. A lion also gave me the opportunity to work with Maya’s fur system, which was something I looked forward to a lot.

My base mesh was created in Maya and consisted of only 2, 016 polys. I then imported it into zBrush to sculpt further detail, ending with a poly count of 2, 064, 384. Experimenting with custom brushes, I sculpted and painted my textures in zBrush. Being the first time I ever worked with zBrush I was happy with my results. Due to its high poly count, I exported my displacement and color maps out and applied them to my original base mesh in Maya. This allowed me to adjust my rendered product in decent time. However, I did notice a loss of fine detail. Once I brought the model back into Maya I duplicated the faces of where I wanted the fur to be, and slightly reshaped it, and applied Maya’s Fur to it. I experimented with different fur controls for some time. Although Maya had a Lion mane preset I was not happy with it and tweaked it a lot. After I settled with my final product I rendered out layers to gain more control of the final look, and re-composited it in Photoshop for stills and After Effects for my turntable.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>