NC State’s Art2Wear 2013
Client: North Carolina State University, College of Design
Contribution: Photographer, Animator, Compositor
Project Duration: 4 weeks (Grand total)
Equipment: Canon T3i, 50mm Lens, 18-55mm Lens, 24-70mm Lens, 8mm Fisheye Lens
Software: Maya, After Effects, Photoshop
So I’m a little late on this post due to trying to get some unfinished projects finished since this past summer. Now that I have some time on my side I can post what I’ve been up to lately!
(Click to see all)
Secondly I worked with the photography chair for the show, a good friend, Ben Scott. You can check his work out here. He approached me with the idea of combining photographs of the models in their outfits with compositied 3D imagery. It was a great idea so I got to work! Each designer had a different theme so we brainstormed a ton of ideas for each and ended up choosing the ones we felt captured the theme the best. During this photoshoot I played around some with trying to make a HDRI of the room the shoot took place in. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to capture the whole room with the 360 lens I was using, but it was a good test. I ended up lighting everything traditionally. In total I created models and composited imagery into 4 of the 8 photos chosen. The other four were done completely in Photoshop by Ben since it didn’t make sense to create those items in 3D. The images can be seen above.
Lastly, since Ben was also one of the documentary artist for the show, he asked me for an animated version of the glass flower I created for one of the composited photos. It was my first time simulating a crash, but I think it came out OK, especially since I only had a couple of days to get it out. I kept it pretty short by having 2 shots. Since I only had a few seconds for the animation to fit to music, I felt having 2 shots of the break would give me liberty to make the crash be a little quicker. I initially tried it all in 1 shot, but it felt too rushed. I ended up rendering 5 passes (Diffuse, Occlusion, Specular, Shadow, and Luminance) and used soft bodies in Maya for the physics on most of the shards. Other groups of shards were hand animated since they never hit the ground in the time frame of the shots. Playing with the dynamics was really fun, I should do another dynamics shot for fun when I have time again. The video and breakdown can be seen above.